Thursday, January 17, 2013

Slow Cooker Applesauce

We recently bought 40 pounds of apples because they were only $30 through Bountiful Baskets. For those of you who haven't heard of them I encourage you to check them out. There's no way we can eat 40 pounds of apples before they go bad so I decided to use half to make applesauce to freeze. The second half will be sliced and frozen for later. Freezing food for later use is one of the best ways to save money on groceries so I'm so happy we finally bought a chest freezer.
.
First I had Hubby start peeling and slicing apples. I got this one because it makes 12 slices instead of 8 like all the ones I've found in the store.

Slow Cooker Applesauce
  • apples - peeled, cored, and sliced
  • 2-4 Tbs brown sugar
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • other spices you like
We have a 6 quart slow cooker and I had him fill it almost all the way to the top with apples.
Next I sprinkled the brown sugar on top. The amount of brown sugar you'll use will depend on how sweet your apples are. I've had some that didn't need any sugar at all. It's better to start with less and then add more later.
Then add the cinnamon, vanilla, and whatever else sounds good. Sometimes I use them and sometimes I leave them out. This time I used cinnamon, allspice, vanilla, and a small bit of citrus peel.
Put it on low and let it cook. I let it go overnight but it'll depend on the size slices you use. Once it's ready you can leave it like it is if you want it chunky or take a stick blender to it if you want it smooth.
It doesn't look like it from the pic but I had enough to fill a gallon sized freezer bag.


No comments:

Post a Comment