Monday, August 20, 2012

Mini Dutch Babies

Last year I saw an episode of Good Eats about popovers, and one of the recipes he made was for a dutch baby. We made one later that week and it was good but lately I've been looking for small, single serving things to make for breakfast. It feels like I've seen everything made in muffin tins lately so I decided to make mini dutch babies.

The recipe is very basic:
  • 6 eggs
  • 1 cup milk (I used 1% because that's what we had)
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup sugar (I use less and sometimes skip it completely)
  • 3/4 tsp kosher salt
Spray your muffin tin with a nonstick spray. Mix all the ingredients together and fill the cups 2/3 full. Cook in a 400 degree oven for 15 minutes, or until they're lightly golden and fluffy. Once they've cooled remove them from the pan. Serve by drizzling with lemon juice and sprinkling a little sugar on top.


My first batch was slightly overdone so the centers didn't deflate like they should have. The second batch was so good it was gone before I had a chance to take a picture. The recipe made 18 mini dutch babies but that number will vary depending on how full you fill the cups.

These came out soooooo good. As an added positive: they freeze and reheat well too. I froze the leftovers and later on my son wanted more so I put them in the microwave until they were warm and he gobbled them up.

No comments:

Post a Comment